AGP responsible for ULFA`s birth
Guwahati: Assam Industry and Power Minister Pradyut Bordoloi on Saturday alleged that the Asom Gana Parishad was responsible for the birth of ULFA.
"ULFA and AGP are two sides of the same coin and the former was born due to the active support of the latter," Bordoloi, who is also the government spokesman, told reporters here.
"ULFA had directly asked people not to vote for Congress, but for AGP candidates," Bordoloi said, adding that it was openly accepted that the two organisations had close links.
AGP had come to power for the second time in 1996 due to the active support and campaigning by the ULFA.
He said that the AGP should not forget the 855 martyrs who lost their lives in the long-drawn Assam agitation.
Bordoloi said that over 1,000 Congressmen were killed during the agitation and subsequent insurgency which plagued the state for more than three decades.
He also said that there were no former militant in the Assam cabinet.
The AGP had yesterday announced that it would take legal action against AICC Vice-President Rahul Gandhi for his purported remark that the party had come to power with the help of insurgents.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had also supported Gandhi`s remarks and asserted that AGP had links with the ULFA.
According to a WikiLeaks report published in the media last month, Gandhi had told a US diplomat in 2006 that India during his father late Rajiv Gandhi`s prime ministership (1984-1989) had given a separatist group a chance to form the government in Assam and US should follow the same model with Hamas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'