AGP seeks PM`s intervention for restoration of peace in Assam
Guwahati: The opposition AGP on Friday sought the Prime Minister`s intervention for restoration of peace in the state.
Taking out a procession from its headquarters, the Asom Gana Parishad submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister through the Kamrup (Metro) district Deputy Commissioner here.
The memorandum signed by its president and former Chief Minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta "blamed the Assam government of failing" to solve the present situation in the state, including the Bodoland Territorial Autonomous Districts (BTAD).
The AGP alleged that the state government had no plan and strategy to counter the recent violence in the state known for unity in diversity.
"People of various caste, creed and religion stay here in Assam and our state has never witnessed such a kind of communal violence and hatred before. Therefore, we urge you to kindly intervene into the matter and take necessary action so that normalcy comes back into the state", the memo said.
Referring to the Assam Accord, it said that after 27 years of it being signed on August 15, 1985, the agreement had not yet been implemented causing the indigenous people to fear for their identity.
The party demanded that immediate steps be taken for detection and deportation of illegal foreigners in accordance with the Assam Accord within a specific time frame to make the state free from illegal foreigners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed