AGP seeks PM`s intervention for restoration of peace in Assam
Guwahati: The opposition AGP on Friday sought the Prime Minister`s intervention for restoration of peace in the state.
Taking out a procession from its headquarters, the Asom Gana Parishad submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister through the Kamrup (Metro) district Deputy Commissioner here.
The memorandum signed by its president and former Chief Minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta "blamed the Assam government of failing" to solve the present situation in the state, including the Bodoland Territorial Autonomous Districts (BTAD).
The AGP alleged that the state government had no plan and strategy to counter the recent violence in the state known for unity in diversity.
"People of various caste, creed and religion stay here in Assam and our state has never witnessed such a kind of communal violence and hatred before. Therefore, we urge you to kindly intervene into the matter and take necessary action so that normalcy comes back into the state", the memo said.
Referring to the Assam Accord, it said that after 27 years of it being signed on August 15, 1985, the agreement had not yet been implemented causing the indigenous people to fear for their identity.
The party demanded that immediate steps be taken for detection and deportation of illegal foreigners in accordance with the Assam Accord within a specific time frame to make the state free from illegal foreigners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof