AGP to be an alternative to Congress: Mahanta
Guwahati: AGP president Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, who returned to the post after a gap of 11 years, Thursday said his main aim would be to make the party an alternative to the ruling Congress, in power for the third consecutive term in Assam.
"AGP was formed after a period of long and sustained struggle by the people of Assam. We will strive to take forward the heritage and emerge as an alternative to the Congress in Assam," Mahanta told reporters, minutes after winning the polls of the AGP here.
"I will strive to bring together all communities residing in Assam under the banner of AGP for the state`s progress," he added.
Regarding the party polls, in which he defeated his colleague and firebrand youth MLA Padma Hazarika by a margin of 37 votes, Mahanta said it was a sign of strong internal democracy in the party.
"There is no factionalism and we will unitedly give a fight against the Congress," party general secretary Kamala Kalita said.
Earlier in the day, Hazarika, who gave a tough fight to Mahanta, spoke in the same vein.
"The polls are meant to strengthen internal democracy and we will work unitedly to strengthen the party under the new leadership," Hazarika, a three-time MLA, had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India