Agriculture crucial to development: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday said his government has always laid emphasis on development of agriculture and allied sectors to ensure the development of the state.
"Assam cannot march ahead on the path of development if agriculture and allied sectors lag behind as it is only through this sector that the state can become the most developed and prosperous in the country," Gogoi said inaugurating a five-day first mega agri-horticultural show here.
"Agriculture and allied sectors can raise the standard of living of farmers and can open up vistas of employment opportunities for the rural youth," he said highlighting the enormous potential of the state in agriculture, dairy farming, fishery, sericulture, food processing, horticulture and floriculture.
The government would provide more support to farmers by extending subsidy and micro finance so that they became economically independent, he said.
Gogoi assured farmers that the government would procure paddy from them.
The chief minister also emphasised the concept of a `Green Assam` which would not only lessen the impact of climate change, but also make the economy more vibrant and resilient.
"We, therefore, want to accord agriculture the status of an industry as it is not only environment friendly but also creates more job opportunities than big industries," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference