Agriculture crucial to development: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday said his government has always laid emphasis on development of agriculture and allied sectors to ensure the development of the state.
"Assam cannot march ahead on the path of development if agriculture and allied sectors lag behind as it is only through this sector that the state can become the most developed and prosperous in the country," Gogoi said inaugurating a five-day first mega agri-horticultural show here.
"Agriculture and allied sectors can raise the standard of living of farmers and can open up vistas of employment opportunities for the rural youth," he said highlighting the enormous potential of the state in agriculture, dairy farming, fishery, sericulture, food processing, horticulture and floriculture.
The government would provide more support to farmers by extending subsidy and micro finance so that they became economically independent, he said.
Gogoi assured farmers that the government would procure paddy from them.
The chief minister also emphasised the concept of a `Green Assam` which would not only lessen the impact of climate change, but also make the economy more vibrant and resilient.
"We, therefore, want to accord agriculture the status of an industry as it is not only environment friendly but also creates more job opportunities than big industries," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan