Agriculture crucial to development: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday said his government has always laid emphasis on development of agriculture and allied sectors to ensure the development of the state.
"Assam cannot march ahead on the path of development if agriculture and allied sectors lag behind as it is only through this sector that the state can become the most developed and prosperous in the country," Gogoi said inaugurating a five-day first mega agri-horticultural show here.
"Agriculture and allied sectors can raise the standard of living of farmers and can open up vistas of employment opportunities for the rural youth," he said highlighting the enormous potential of the state in agriculture, dairy farming, fishery, sericulture, food processing, horticulture and floriculture.
The government would provide more support to farmers by extending subsidy and micro finance so that they became economically independent, he said.
Gogoi assured farmers that the government would procure paddy from them.
The chief minister also emphasised the concept of a `Green Assam` which would not only lessen the impact of climate change, but also make the economy more vibrant and resilient.
"We, therefore, want to accord agriculture the status of an industry as it is not only environment friendly but also creates more job opportunities than big industries," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city