Guwahati: Taking cognizance of media reports on police firing and lathi-charge on protestors in the silk town of Sualkuchi, Assam Human Rights Commission (AHRC) on Monday said it has issued notice to the state for conducting an enquiry into it.
"Assam Human Rights Commission had taken suo moto cognizance of the matter and issued notice to the chief secretary, government of Assam, to conduct an enquiry into the reports by an officer not below the rank of additional chief secretary and submit the report of enquiry before the Commission within 30 days after the receipt of this notice," AHRC said in a statement today.
The notice was issued on April 4 by AHRC chairperson Justice Aftab H Saikia.
AHRC, it said, has taken into account reports published in almost all newspapers published on March 31 and April 1, 2013 and also broadcast in different TV news channels on March 30 to April 1, 2013.
AHRC said it has taken note of the fact that security forces had gone `berserk` in controlling the protestors and let loose a reign of terror by `indiscriminately` bursting tear-gas shells, lathi-charging and firing in the most `brutal manner` which resulted in injuries to nine persons.
AHRC directed the chief secretary to inform it of the steps proposed to be taken by the government along with submission of the report."
Sualkuchi had witnessed major violence on March 30 when anti-artificial silk protesters burnt clothes from shops and pelted stones at security personnel, who retaliated by firing.
Curfew was then imposed in the town for two days and Army was called in to control the situation. The state government had last week asked for a CBI inquiry into the incident.