AIUDF leaders making provocative statements: Cong
Guwahati: Accusing principal opposition party All India United Democratic Front of making provocative statements during campaigning for the panchayat polls, ruling Congress Wednesday said such comments can inflame passion and affect peace and amity in Assam.
"AIUDF and its leader Maulana Badruddin Ajmal have in recent times made some statements which are provocative in nature. The statements made by Ajmal at many panchayat polls meeting are condemnable and could affect peace and amity among people," Assam Pradesh Congress Committee president Bhubaneshwar Kalita told reporters here.
He accused Ajmal of inciting AIUDF supporters to "throw stones" at Congress party meetings and also attack vehicles used by the ruling party during campaign.
Kalita also attacked Asom Gana Parishad and BJP and said both the parties have no faith in the panchayati raj system.
"The opposition attacks such on the issue of corruption. However, the fact is that panchayati raj has brought decentralisation of power to the local level.
"There were no panchayat polls in the state when AGP was ruling Assam and NDA was in power in the centre. For them, panchayat polls are mere elections and they have no faith in the system," Kalita said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj