AIUDF leaders making provocative statements: Cong
Guwahati: Accusing principal opposition party All India United Democratic Front of making provocative statements during campaigning for the panchayat polls, ruling Congress Wednesday said such comments can inflame passion and affect peace and amity in Assam.
"AIUDF and its leader Maulana Badruddin Ajmal have in recent times made some statements which are provocative in nature. The statements made by Ajmal at many panchayat polls meeting are condemnable and could affect peace and amity among people," Assam Pradesh Congress Committee president Bhubaneshwar Kalita told reporters here.
He accused Ajmal of inciting AIUDF supporters to "throw stones" at Congress party meetings and also attack vehicles used by the ruling party during campaign.
Kalita also attacked Asom Gana Parishad and BJP and said both the parties have no faith in the panchayati raj system.
"The opposition attacks such on the issue of corruption. However, the fact is that panchayati raj has brought decentralisation of power to the local level.
"There were no panchayat polls in the state when AGP was ruling Assam and NDA was in power in the centre. For them, panchayat polls are mere elections and they have no faith in the system," Kalita said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands