AIUDF leaders making provocative statements: Cong
Guwahati: Accusing principal opposition party All India United Democratic Front of making provocative statements during campaigning for the panchayat polls, ruling Congress Wednesday said such comments can inflame passion and affect peace and amity in Assam.
"AIUDF and its leader Maulana Badruddin Ajmal have in recent times made some statements which are provocative in nature. The statements made by Ajmal at many panchayat polls meeting are condemnable and could affect peace and amity among people," Assam Pradesh Congress Committee president Bhubaneshwar Kalita told reporters here.
He accused Ajmal of inciting AIUDF supporters to "throw stones" at Congress party meetings and also attack vehicles used by the ruling party during campaign.
Kalita also attacked Asom Gana Parishad and BJP and said both the parties have no faith in the panchayati raj system.
"The opposition attacks such on the issue of corruption. However, the fact is that panchayati raj has brought decentralisation of power to the local level.
"There were no panchayat polls in the state when AGP was ruling Assam and NDA was in power in the centre. For them, panchayat polls are mere elections and they have no faith in the system," Kalita said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31