AIUDF stages walkout in Assam Assembly over updating NRC
Guwahati: The Assam Assembly today witnessed uproarious scenes over the issue of updating the National Register of Citizens (NRC) resulting in a brief walkout by the MLAs of principal opposition party All India United Democratic Front.
Trouble began during the Question Hour this morning when AIUDF MLA Sherman Ali Ahmed demanded that the state government should approach the Centre seeking use of the term "preparation" instead of "update" in the application form for the NRC.
He also asked if it was possible to go for amendments in the sub-rules under the Citizenship Amendment Rules 2009.
In reply, Panchayat and Rural Development Minister said that the work on updating of the NRC had been decided after extensive consultations with political parties, non-political organisations and civil society in the state.
Hussain, however, said that in future communications to Centre the term "update/preparation" could be used.
He also assured the Assembly that safeguards had been put in place to ensure that genuine citizens were not left out of the updated NRC.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi intervened on the issue and said that going for any change in rules would only delay the process further.
"The basic objective is to prepare the NRC. If we go into technicalities, the process will only further be delayed," Gogoi said.
However, when Ahmed tried to speak once more on the issue, Speaker Pranab Gogoi disallowed him and said the MLA had already utilised his time.
MLAs from the Congress also objected to Ahmed and tried to shout him down.
In protest, all AIUDF MLAs led by their Legislature party leader Sirauddin Ajmal walked out of the house. However, they returned to the Assembly after some time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India