Akhil start fast-unto-death
Guwahati: Team Anna member Akhil Gogoi began a fast-unto-death on Saturday against construction of big dams on Brahmaputra river and its tributaries and called for action against officials involved in alleged `atrocities` on anti-dam activists.
"Work on Lower Subansiri and all other dams in the north east should be stopped immediately. Besides, our inspection sites which were destroyed by police and CRPF last week should be rebuilt and action should be taken against officials who committed atrocities on peaceful protestors in Lakhimpur," he told reporters at fast site at Lakhindhar Khetra here.
Akhil, who is also general secretary of farmers body Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti, also demanded release of activists who were arrested during eviction drive by police in Lakhimpur on April 11.
"There will be no compromise on the demands. We will spread the agitation across all districts of Assam," Akhil said.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi termed Akhil`s fast as a `political gimmick` and accused him of colluding with Maoist groups to hinder the state`s development.
He also refused to hold any negotiations with Akhil and asked him to contest polls and fulfil his agenda by winning polls.
“They (agitators) do not wish Assam to develop. Other parties, including Maoists, are involved in the agitation," Gogoi told reporters.
"Akhil`s agenda is political. On the one hand he talks about environmental damage due to big dams and on the other hand he demands that reserved forest areas should be handed over to people for building settlements."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand