Akhil start fast-unto-death
Guwahati: Team Anna member Akhil Gogoi began a fast-unto-death on Saturday against construction of big dams on Brahmaputra river and its tributaries and called for action against officials involved in alleged `atrocities` on anti-dam activists.
"Work on Lower Subansiri and all other dams in the north east should be stopped immediately. Besides, our inspection sites which were destroyed by police and CRPF last week should be rebuilt and action should be taken against officials who committed atrocities on peaceful protestors in Lakhimpur," he told reporters at fast site at Lakhindhar Khetra here.
Akhil, who is also general secretary of farmers body Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti, also demanded release of activists who were arrested during eviction drive by police in Lakhimpur on April 11.
"There will be no compromise on the demands. We will spread the agitation across all districts of Assam," Akhil said.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi termed Akhil`s fast as a `political gimmick` and accused him of colluding with Maoist groups to hinder the state`s development.
He also refused to hold any negotiations with Akhil and asked him to contest polls and fulfil his agenda by winning polls.
“They (agitators) do not wish Assam to develop. Other parties, including Maoists, are involved in the agitation," Gogoi told reporters.
"Akhil`s agenda is political. On the one hand he talks about environmental damage due to big dams and on the other hand he demands that reserved forest areas should be handed over to people for building settlements."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!