Algapur bypoll: AIUDF challenges Congress
Karimganj: The by-election to the Algapur Assembly constituency in south Assam on February 24 is poised to see a straight contest between the Congress and AIUDF with minister Gautam Roy`s wife facing challenge from Supreme Court lawyer Mehububul Hasan Munna.
AIUDF supremo Badaruddin Ajmal emboldened by the success of his party in the just concluded panchayat elections is set to give a tough fight by his party to Congress nominee and the minister`s wife Mandira Roy.
The AIUDF chief said he would not rest till the seat was won alleging "misrule of the Tarun Gogoi government as and the failure of the Centre and the state to control rising prices of essential commodities."
Mandira`s is facing the challenge from AIUDF`s Mehububul Hasan Munna, a Supreme Court lawyer and nephew of former AGP minister Sahidul Alam Choudhury, who represented the constituency till his death on November 21 last year.
With an impressive performance by the Congress in the panchayat polls, Gautom Roy has taken up the challenge and formulating strategy for ensuring his wife`s victory.
The seat fell vacant following the death of Choudhury who had turned Algapur into the only bastion of the party in the Barak Valley.
He had held the seat since his debut in 1985 except for 2006 when it was wrested by Rahul Roy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- IPL 2016: Superman AB de Villiers does it again, takes RCB into final with incredible 79-run knock vs GL
- Mbose.in & Megresults.nic.in MBOSE Tura Class 12th HSSLC Arts Results 2016 Meghalaya Board announced
- Mbose.in & Megresults.nic.in SSLC Results 2016: MBOSE Meghalaya Board Class 10th Exam Results 2016 declared
- 'I swear my allegiance to Sonia ji, Rahul ji', say West Bengal Congress MLAs on a stamp paper
- Faintest galaxy ever captured by scientists