Another rhino killed in Kaziranga, horn taken away
Kaziranga: Killing of rhinos continued in the Kaziranga National Park in Assam with one more adult pachyderm falling to bullets of poachers who took away its horn.
This has taken the total number of rhinos killed in Kaziranga to 31 this year and three in the last 20 days, Park officials said today.
The male rhino was gunned down between Khorali and Borbhug forest camps in Burapahar Range of the 430 sq km World Heritage Site last night.
Around 8 PM the forest guards heard gun shots and retaliated leading to heavy exchange of fire with the poachers for one and half hours, they said.
Launching a search operation today, the rhino carcass was recovered with its horn sawed away and empty cartridges of AK 47 and .303 rifles scattered near it, the officials said.
The Park and Forest Department officials suspect that poachers, helped by agents living near KNP, drive adult rhinos towards Buraphar and Bagori ranges to kill them.
Rhino horns are highly valued in the international black market fetching lakhs of rupees for their so-called medicinal values and for being a `status symbol` for a section of people in south east Asian countries.
Eleven rhinos, including two in recent floods, have also died due to natural causes in the KNP this year. Last year there were 16 natural deaths of rhinos, including those killed in floods, the sources added.
Assam is home to two-third of the world`s one-horned rhinos and Kaziranga is the habitation of over 2,000 of the animals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city