Anti-talk faction `removes` Rajkhowa as Chairman
Guwahati: The ULFA`s anti-talk faction on Wednesday `removed` Arabinda Rajkhowa as its chairman and `appointed` acting chairman Abhijit Asom as its new leader.
"We are confident that under the leadership of the new Chairman, the outfit will make great strides and help in fulfilling the aspirations of the people of Assam", anti-talk faction`s publicity in-charge Arunodoy Asom said in a statement e-mailed to a news agency.
"We had made a sincere appeal to Rajkhowa to return to the outfit and give up his alliance with the government forces ... but there was no response from his side", he said.
The outfit had fixed July 29, 2012 as a deadline for Rajkhowa to return to the outfit.
Rajkhowa along with several top leaders of the outfit had participated in negotiations with the Centre to bring peace to Assam which was opposed by the anti-talk faction, led by ULFA`s commander-in-chief Paresh Barua.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says