Anti-talk faction `removes` Rajkhowa as Chairman
Guwahati: The ULFA`s anti-talk faction on Wednesday `removed` Arabinda Rajkhowa as its chairman and `appointed` acting chairman Abhijit Asom as its new leader.
"We are confident that under the leadership of the new Chairman, the outfit will make great strides and help in fulfilling the aspirations of the people of Assam", anti-talk faction`s publicity in-charge Arunodoy Asom said in a statement e-mailed to a news agency.
"We had made a sincere appeal to Rajkhowa to return to the outfit and give up his alliance with the government forces ... but there was no response from his side", he said.
The outfit had fixed July 29, 2012 as a deadline for Rajkhowa to return to the outfit.
Rajkhowa along with several top leaders of the outfit had participated in negotiations with the Centre to bring peace to Assam which was opposed by the anti-talk faction, led by ULFA`s commander-in-chief Paresh Barua.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam