ANVC ultra nabbed in Assam
Goalpara: An Achik National Volunteer Council (ANVC) insurgent was nabbed by a joint Assam and Meghalaya police team from Krishnai area of Assam Saturday.
On a tip off about the movement of the ANVC militant, the police team apprehended him from Krishnai Bazar, under Krishnai police station, police sources said.
Stating no recovery of arms was made from the extremist, the sources said he was identified as Jicostar Momin.
The ANVC, formed in December 1995, was proscribed on November 16, 2000 but signed a ceasefire agreement with the Central Government on July 23, 2004.
The ANVC aims to carve out homeland `Achik Land` for the ethnic Garo tribe comprising the districts of Garo Hills in Meghalaya and a large area of Kamrup and Goalpara districts of Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy