ANVC ultra nabbed in Assam
Goalpara: An Achik National Volunteer Council (ANVC) insurgent was nabbed by a joint Assam and Meghalaya police team from Krishnai area of Assam Saturday.
On a tip off about the movement of the ANVC militant, the police team apprehended him from Krishnai Bazar, under Krishnai police station, police sources said.
Stating no recovery of arms was made from the extremist, the sources said he was identified as Jicostar Momin.
The ANVC, formed in December 1995, was proscribed on November 16, 2000 but signed a ceasefire agreement with the Central Government on July 23, 2004.
The ANVC aims to carve out homeland `Achik Land` for the ethnic Garo tribe comprising the districts of Garo Hills in Meghalaya and a large area of Kamrup and Goalpara districts of Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites