ANVC ultra nabbed in Assam
Goalpara: An Achik National Volunteer Council (ANVC) insurgent was nabbed by a joint Assam and Meghalaya police team from Krishnai area of Assam Saturday.
On a tip off about the movement of the ANVC militant, the police team apprehended him from Krishnai Bazar, under Krishnai police station, police sources said.
Stating no recovery of arms was made from the extremist, the sources said he was identified as Jicostar Momin.
The ANVC, formed in December 1995, was proscribed on November 16, 2000 but signed a ceasefire agreement with the Central Government on July 23, 2004.
The ANVC aims to carve out homeland `Achik Land` for the ethnic Garo tribe comprising the districts of Garo Hills in Meghalaya and a large area of Kamrup and Goalpara districts of Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- GOING VIRAL: Have you seen this 'love story' ad on PM Narendra Modi's ambitious 'Swachh Bharat' campaign? WATCH
- Transit of Mercury, May 9, 2016: Where, when and how to watch in India!
- Hrithik Roshan shares video where Katrina Kaif is singing! Watch it now
- IPL 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders' Yusuf Pathan slams Sunil Gavaskar for calling RCB's bowling line-up as 'popatwadi attack'
- Apple sees huge market potential in India: CEO Tim Cook