Army court sentence `insensitive`: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday said the three months imprisonment given to an Army man by a court here for molesting a teenager in Sibsagar district was "insensitive" and he would take up the matter with the Defence Ministry for its review.
"The Army court has been insensitive about the seriousness of the crime and has taken a lenient view of the matter," Gogoi said in a statement here.
"Imprisonment for only three months is far less than the heinous crime committed by the Army man. The Army court should have meted out a deterrent punishment to the accused, instead it took a lenient view of such a grave crime which amounts to insensitivity," he said.
The chief minister said he would take up the matter with the Defence ministry so that the victim gets proper justice.
Lance Naik Anil Kumar Upadhaya was tried by an Army court after he was accused of molesting a teenager and sentenced to three months imprisonment.
Upadhaya was also demoted to a lower post of sepoy from his current post of lance naik and this was informed to Sibsagar Deputy Commissioner JN Lahkar in a communication by the Army, official sources said today.
The teenager was molested by the lance naik, who was on patrol near a forest in Dolopa area of the district on July 13 last year where she had gone to collect firewood.
The incident led to wide protests in Assam with people demanding that the accused be handed over to police but the Army maintained that he would be first tried by its court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings