Army court sentence `insensitive`: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday said the three months imprisonment given to an Army man by a court here for molesting a teenager in Sibsagar district was "insensitive" and he would take up the matter with the Defence Ministry for its review.
"The Army court has been insensitive about the seriousness of the crime and has taken a lenient view of the matter," Gogoi said in a statement here.
"Imprisonment for only three months is far less than the heinous crime committed by the Army man. The Army court should have meted out a deterrent punishment to the accused, instead it took a lenient view of such a grave crime which amounts to insensitivity," he said.
The chief minister said he would take up the matter with the Defence ministry so that the victim gets proper justice.
Lance Naik Anil Kumar Upadhaya was tried by an Army court after he was accused of molesting a teenager and sentenced to three months imprisonment.
Upadhaya was also demoted to a lower post of sepoy from his current post of lance naik and this was informed to Sibsagar Deputy Commissioner JN Lahkar in a communication by the Army, official sources said today.
The teenager was molested by the lance naik, who was on patrol near a forest in Dolopa area of the district on July 13 last year where she had gone to collect firewood.
The incident led to wide protests in Assam with people demanding that the accused be handed over to police but the Army maintained that he would be first tried by its court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!