Army jawan killed in encounter with NDFB in Assam
Guwahati: An Indian army soldier was killed in a gun battle with militants of the anti-talk faction of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) in Assam`s Sonitpur district Wednesday, officials said.
The incident took place at a remote area called Chariduar, along the Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border, officials said.
An army spokesman based in Guwahati confirmed the incident, and said militants had fired upon a routine patrol of the army in the area, leading to a gun battle. "One of the bullets hit a jawan," the army spokesman said.
The forces, however, could manage to apprehend one of the militants while the rest of the group managed to escape, he said.
The deceased jawan was identified as Raju Kumar of 7 Bihar Regiment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal