Army man killed, six injured in Assam blast
Guwahati: An Army man was killed and six others were injured when suspected militants triggered a powerful bomb blast in Goalpara district of Assam on Tuesday, said police.
Police officials suspect it to be an IED blast triggered by a remote control device.
The incident took place in Bamunghopa near the Panchratna area of Goalpara district.
Defence spokesman Lt Col SS Phogat confirmed the incident and said while one of the Army personnel died on the spot, six others were seriously injured. All the injured were shifted to the Army`s Base Hospital in Guwahati.
Phogat, however, refused to name of the personnel who died.
He said the incident took place when the Army convoy was moving from Kokrajhar to Agia in Goalpara.
The attack took place at a time when Union Home Minister P Chidambaram visited some relief camps in Dhubri district close to Goalpara in the morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply
- Setback for NSUI as ABVP wins big in student union polls in Rajasthan
- North Korea leader says missile test `greatest success`
- Curfew, restrictions continue for 48th day in Kashmir