Army man killed, six injured in Assam blast
Guwahati: An Army man was killed and six others were injured when suspected militants triggered a powerful bomb blast in Goalpara district of Assam on Tuesday, said police.
Police officials suspect it to be an IED blast triggered by a remote control device.
The incident took place in Bamunghopa near the Panchratna area of Goalpara district.
Defence spokesman Lt Col SS Phogat confirmed the incident and said while one of the Army personnel died on the spot, six others were seriously injured. All the injured were shifted to the Army`s Base Hospital in Guwahati.
Phogat, however, refused to name of the personnel who died.
He said the incident took place when the Army convoy was moving from Kokrajhar to Agia in Goalpara.
The attack took place at a time when Union Home Minister P Chidambaram visited some relief camps in Dhubri district close to Goalpara in the morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch