Army man killed, six injured in Assam blast
Guwahati: An Army man was killed and six others were injured when suspected militants triggered a powerful bomb blast in Goalpara district of Assam on Tuesday, said police.
Police officials suspect it to be an IED blast triggered by a remote control device.
The incident took place in Bamunghopa near the Panchratna area of Goalpara district.
Defence spokesman Lt Col SS Phogat confirmed the incident and said while one of the Army personnel died on the spot, six others were seriously injured. All the injured were shifted to the Army`s Base Hospital in Guwahati.
Phogat, however, refused to name of the personnel who died.
He said the incident took place when the Army convoy was moving from Kokrajhar to Agia in Goalpara.
The attack took place at a time when Union Home Minister P Chidambaram visited some relief camps in Dhubri district close to Goalpara in the morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption