Army on stand-by in Baksa in Assam, bodies of all four kidnapped found
Guwahati: The Army has been kept on stand-by as tension mounted in Assam`s Baksa district where bodies of three more persons kidnapped by suspected NDFB (S) militants were retrieved from Beki River on Sunday.
The police fired in the air to disperse a mob holding a protest against the kidnapping in violation of indefinite curfew which has been clamped in Salbari sub-division and Anand Bazar area.
Baksa Deputy Commissioner Vinod Seshan said, "We have recovered three more bodies this morning from Beki river. We do not know the type of injuries these bodies bore. The details will be known after investigation."
Bodies of all the four who were kidnapped on Friday night by suspected NDFB (Songbijit) militants, including two teenaged boys, have now been found. The first body, bearing a cut mark on the head, was recovered last evening from the river in Barpeta district.
The bodies recovered today were identified as those of Ataur Rahman (27), Rubul Amin (45) and Saddam Ali(13), while that of Bakar Ali(13) was found yesterday.
The four were among seven lemon traders who had gone to Labdanguri market in Baksa district from the adjacent Barpeta district.
The family members and villagers in Barpeta district, from where the four hailed, have refused to conduct the last rites demanding that Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi visit the area to address their grievances.
The police fired in the air to disperse a mob protesting against the kidnap ignoring the curfew at Anand Bazar area, Seshan said, adding "police had to use force as the people violated the curfew and refused to leave the place."
The state government last evening replaced the Baksa Superintendent of Police Nimbalkar Vaibhav Chandrakant and appointed 10th Assam Police Battalion commandant Mojibur Rahman in his place.
In May this year, 50 people were killed in Baksa and Kokrajhar in Bodoland Territorial Area Districts by suspected Bodoland Peoples Front-supported militants. NIA and the state government are separately probing the incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video