Army to be used only for specific ops: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday said Army will be used in the state only for specific operations to seize illegal arms and restore peace.
Army, which was being used to assist the civil administration in violence-hit districts, will be used in seizing illegal arms from the violence-hit districts initially.
They have been already put into action in Chirang and Bongaigaon districts and soon will conduct similar operations in the other districts, he said.
"The Army is out and is helping us. It has been given full powers to seize illegal arms and ammunition and I believe we will get results very soon," Gogoi said.
The Army, already engaged in counter-insurgency operations in the entire state, was requisitioned by the state government from July 25 to specifically assist the civil administration in quelling violence in Lower Assam.
Meanwhile, the Chief Minister has called a meeting of senior officials at the state secretariat today to review the prevailing law and order situation in the affected districts.
A team of Youth Congress members was scheduled to visit Kokrajhar district today on the directives of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi.
Tension prevails in the affected districts following widespread violence in different parts of the state during yesterday`s bandh called by the All Assam Minority Students` Union (AAMSU) with security forces maintaining a strict vigil, official sources said.
Night curfew was continuing in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts, they said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed