Army to be used only for specific ops: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday said Army will be used in the state only for specific operations to seize illegal arms and restore peace.
Army, which was being used to assist the civil administration in violence-hit districts, will be used in seizing illegal arms from the violence-hit districts initially.
They have been already put into action in Chirang and Bongaigaon districts and soon will conduct similar operations in the other districts, he said.
"The Army is out and is helping us. It has been given full powers to seize illegal arms and ammunition and I believe we will get results very soon," Gogoi said.
The Army, already engaged in counter-insurgency operations in the entire state, was requisitioned by the state government from July 25 to specifically assist the civil administration in quelling violence in Lower Assam.
Meanwhile, the Chief Minister has called a meeting of senior officials at the state secretariat today to review the prevailing law and order situation in the affected districts.
A team of Youth Congress members was scheduled to visit Kokrajhar district today on the directives of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi.
Tension prevails in the affected districts following widespread violence in different parts of the state during yesterday`s bandh called by the All Assam Minority Students` Union (AAMSU) with security forces maintaining a strict vigil, official sources said.
Night curfew was continuing in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre