Armyman accused of molestation sentenced to imprisonment
Sibsagar (Assam): An army personnel, accused of molesting a teenaged girl here, has been sentenced to three months imprisonment by an army court.
Lance Naik Anil Kumar Upadhyaya was tried by an army court and has been sentenced to three months imprisonment, the army informed Sibsagar Deputy Commissioner J N Lahkar in a communication, official sources said today.
Upadhyaya has also been demoted to a lower post from his current post of Lance Naik, the communique added.
The teenager was allegedly molested by Army jawans on patrolling duty near a forest in Dolopa area of the district on July 13 last year.
The girl who had gone to collect firewood from the forest was accosted by the armymen, posted in Nitaipukhuri camp, but she raised an alarm following which villagers rushed to the spot and saved her.
The incident led to wide protests in Assam with people demanding that the accused be handed over to police but army maintained that it would first conduct trial in its court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about