Asom Gana Parishad stir against big dams, price ri
Guwahati: Accusing the ruling Congress of following `anti-people policies`, Asom Gana Parishad on Sunday said it would launch an agitation across Assam on June 12 to protest against construction of big dams, price rise and corruption.
"The agitation on June 12 would cover all districts in the state. While the common people are reeling under spiralling inflation and severe power crisis, Gogoi is citing false data to claim achievements," AGP president Prafulla Kumar Mahanta said here.
The Tarun Gogoi-led state government has given go ahead to big dams in the state without proper study by group of experts. "We want a series of small dams rather than have big dams which can have serious repercussions on the ecology and environment in a fragile zone like the Northeast."
Mahanta alleged that the state government had handed over the factory at Amlokhi tea estate in Nagaon district to a private firm without floating tender.
"Gogoi`s economic advisor Ranjit Borthakur is a director in the company and the factory was handed over without proper tender. This is flouting of rules," he alleged.
The AGP leader also charged the state forest department of harassing innocent local businessmen engaged in tea plantation activities in the Assam-Nagaland border in Sibsagar district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- If Arvind Subramanian is asset for BJP govt, will suspend 'sacking' demand: Subramanian Swamy
- Indonesian President sails to South China Sea islands in message to Beijing
- Pope risks Turkey`s ire with Armenia trip
- Akshay Kumar backs Sonakshi Sinha, says can't wait for 'Akira'!
- Andy Murray re-hiring Ivan Lendl was no surprise, says wary Novak Djokovic