Assam: 15 women injured in lathicharge
Dhubri: Altogether 15 women were injured in police lathicharge when they surrounded the Dhubri police station here on Monday even as the Army continued flag marching in this Lower Assam town where night curfew is on.
Official sources said about 500 women gheraoed the police station accusing the police and the district administration of being biased and picking up people of one community only in connection with clashes last week during the Durga puja festival.
Claiming that the five youths taken into custody were innocent, the women alleged that they were being tortured during interrogation.
As the situation became uncontrollable, the police lathicharged in which 15 demonstrators sustained minor injuries, the sources said.
Yesterday also around 500 women of the I G Road area here had staged a peaceful dharna before the police station.
Though no fresh incident of violence was reported since Saturday, tension prevailed in the town because markets operated by people of a community remained closed affecting shopping for Laxmi Puja today, they said.
Besides, boats used to transport food, vegetables, and people from south bank of the Brahmaputra were not allowed to land here by a group leading to shortage of essential items and stranding passengers here, the sources said.
Meanwhile, the army continued to flag march here round the clock with paramilitary forces, Rapid Action Force (RAF) and police intensifying their vigil even as night curfew from 5 pm to 5 am continued.
Curfew was imposed on Thursday at 9:00 pm following a clash when a group of people were returning after immersing the idol of Goddess Durga in the Brahmaputra.
Curfew was also imposed earlier on Wednesday for 12 hours following clashes after stabbing of a Durga Puja pandal decorator in IG Road area on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'