Assam: 15 women injured in lathicharge
Dhubri: Altogether 15 women were injured in police lathicharge when they surrounded the Dhubri police station here on Monday even as the Army continued flag marching in this Lower Assam town where night curfew is on.
Official sources said about 500 women gheraoed the police station accusing the police and the district administration of being biased and picking up people of one community only in connection with clashes last week during the Durga puja festival.
Claiming that the five youths taken into custody were innocent, the women alleged that they were being tortured during interrogation.
As the situation became uncontrollable, the police lathicharged in which 15 demonstrators sustained minor injuries, the sources said.
Yesterday also around 500 women of the I G Road area here had staged a peaceful dharna before the police station.
Though no fresh incident of violence was reported since Saturday, tension prevailed in the town because markets operated by people of a community remained closed affecting shopping for Laxmi Puja today, they said.
Besides, boats used to transport food, vegetables, and people from south bank of the Brahmaputra were not allowed to land here by a group leading to shortage of essential items and stranding passengers here, the sources said.
Meanwhile, the army continued to flag march here round the clock with paramilitary forces, Rapid Action Force (RAF) and police intensifying their vigil even as night curfew from 5 pm to 5 am continued.
Curfew was imposed on Thursday at 9:00 pm following a clash when a group of people were returning after immersing the idol of Goddess Durga in the Brahmaputra.
Curfew was also imposed earlier on Wednesday for 12 hours following clashes after stabbing of a Durga Puja pandal decorator in IG Road area on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India