Assam: 15 women injured in lathicharge
Dhubri: Altogether 15 women were injured in police lathicharge when they surrounded the Dhubri police station here on Monday even as the Army continued flag marching in this Lower Assam town where night curfew is on.
Official sources said about 500 women gheraoed the police station accusing the police and the district administration of being biased and picking up people of one community only in connection with clashes last week during the Durga puja festival.
Claiming that the five youths taken into custody were innocent, the women alleged that they were being tortured during interrogation.
As the situation became uncontrollable, the police lathicharged in which 15 demonstrators sustained minor injuries, the sources said.
Yesterday also around 500 women of the I G Road area here had staged a peaceful dharna before the police station.
Though no fresh incident of violence was reported since Saturday, tension prevailed in the town because markets operated by people of a community remained closed affecting shopping for Laxmi Puja today, they said.
Besides, boats used to transport food, vegetables, and people from south bank of the Brahmaputra were not allowed to land here by a group leading to shortage of essential items and stranding passengers here, the sources said.
Meanwhile, the army continued to flag march here round the clock with paramilitary forces, Rapid Action Force (RAF) and police intensifying their vigil even as night curfew from 5 pm to 5 am continued.
Curfew was imposed on Thursday at 9:00 pm following a clash when a group of people were returning after immersing the idol of Goddess Durga in the Brahmaputra.
Curfew was also imposed earlier on Wednesday for 12 hours following clashes after stabbing of a Durga Puja pandal decorator in IG Road area on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price