Assam: 2 GNLA ultras killed
Goalpara: Two suspected militants of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) were killed in an encounter with a joint team of police and Army in lower Assam`s Goalapara district, police said Sunday.
The security forces had launched a search operation on a tip-off about the presence of the extremists in Borjhora village, under Lakhipur police station, and cordoned off the area.
On coming face to face with the security team around 11 pm last night, the ultras opened fire and in the retaliatory shooting the two were killed.
A 7.26 mm pistol with 11 rounds of ammunition were recovered from the slain militants, who are yet to be identified.
GNLA is an insurgent outfit based in Meghalaya`s Garo Hills region adjacent to Goalpara district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'