Assam: 2 GNLA ultras killed
Goalpara: Two suspected militants of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) were killed in an encounter with a joint team of police and Army in lower Assam`s Goalapara district, police said Sunday.
The security forces had launched a search operation on a tip-off about the presence of the extremists in Borjhora village, under Lakhipur police station, and cordoned off the area.
On coming face to face with the security team around 11 pm last night, the ultras opened fire and in the retaliatory shooting the two were killed.
A 7.26 mm pistol with 11 rounds of ammunition were recovered from the slain militants, who are yet to be identified.
GNLA is an insurgent outfit based in Meghalaya`s Garo Hills region adjacent to Goalpara district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels