Assam: 2 GNLA ultras killed
Goalpara: Two suspected militants of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) were killed in an encounter with a joint team of police and Army in lower Assam`s Goalapara district, police said Sunday.
The security forces had launched a search operation on a tip-off about the presence of the extremists in Borjhora village, under Lakhipur police station, and cordoned off the area.
On coming face to face with the security team around 11 pm last night, the ultras opened fire and in the retaliatory shooting the two were killed.
A 7.26 mm pistol with 11 rounds of ammunition were recovered from the slain militants, who are yet to be identified.
GNLA is an insurgent outfit based in Meghalaya`s Garo Hills region adjacent to Goalpara district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police