Assam 2008 serial bomb blast accused killed in encounter
Guwahati: A NDFB-Songbijit militant, wanted by CBI in 2008 Guwahati serial bomb blast case, was on Sunday killed in an encounter with police in Assam`s Kokrajhar district, a top police officer said.
"The insurgent identified as Uttam Swargiary alias Ulafat (40) exchanged fire with the police at Hazuriguri Bombazar in Kachugaon police station," IGP LR Bishnoi told PTI.
A pistol with four live rounds of ammunition and two fired rounds, two grenades and two mobile phone sets were recovered from the slain ultra, he said.
The extremist was wanted by CBI for planting the bombs in Guwahati, Bishnoi said, adding, Swargiary was a senior cadre of the second batch of National Democratic Front of Bodoland-Songbijit.
The bomb blasts in Guwahati and nearby districts in Assam on October 30, 2008 had claimed nearly 100 lives and injured over 470 people.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference