Assam 2008 serial bomb blast accused killed in encounter
Guwahati: A NDFB-Songbijit militant, wanted by CBI in 2008 Guwahati serial bomb blast case, was on Sunday killed in an encounter with police in Assam`s Kokrajhar district, a top police officer said.
"The insurgent identified as Uttam Swargiary alias Ulafat (40) exchanged fire with the police at Hazuriguri Bombazar in Kachugaon police station," IGP LR Bishnoi told PTI.
A pistol with four live rounds of ammunition and two fired rounds, two grenades and two mobile phone sets were recovered from the slain ultra, he said.
The extremist was wanted by CBI for planting the bombs in Guwahati, Bishnoi said, adding, Swargiary was a senior cadre of the second batch of National Democratic Front of Bodoland-Songbijit.
The bomb blasts in Guwahati and nearby districts in Assam on October 30, 2008 had claimed nearly 100 lives and injured over 470 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends