Assam 2008 serial bomb blast accused killed in encounter
Guwahati: A NDFB-Songbijit militant, wanted by CBI in 2008 Guwahati serial bomb blast case, was on Sunday killed in an encounter with police in Assam`s Kokrajhar district, a top police officer said.
"The insurgent identified as Uttam Swargiary alias Ulafat (40) exchanged fire with the police at Hazuriguri Bombazar in Kachugaon police station," IGP LR Bishnoi told PTI.
A pistol with four live rounds of ammunition and two fired rounds, two grenades and two mobile phone sets were recovered from the slain ultra, he said.
The extremist was wanted by CBI for planting the bombs in Guwahati, Bishnoi said, adding, Swargiary was a senior cadre of the second batch of National Democratic Front of Bodoland-Songbijit.
The bomb blasts in Guwahati and nearby districts in Assam on October 30, 2008 had claimed nearly 100 lives and injured over 470 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss