Assam: 4 police officers convicted for death of prisoner
Silchar (Assam): Four police officers were convicted and sentenced to three years imprisonment each and a fine by a Hailkhandi court for the unnatural death of a undertrial prisoner arrested for dacoity in 1993 in a case investigated by the CBI at the direction of the Supreme Court.
Hailakandi district and sessions Judge Nabakamal Das yesterday convicted the four officers for culpable homicide and criminal conspiracy.
Of the four, the present officer-in-charge of Hailkandi police station Abdul Hai Choudhury, Dwarbond police station OC Parag Konwar and retired OC of Hailakandi PS Binod Phukan were also fined Rs 25,000 each and Assistant Sub-Inspector in Panchgram PS Bilal Uddin to Rs 5000.
The four were given bail to appeal to a higher court.
The prisoner, Nurul Haque was arrested on March 9, 1993 from Boalipar Bazar near Hailakandi town in a dacoity case.
After two days on March 11, the police produced him in the court and took him in its custody for 72 hours.
On March 12 the prisoner was sent to hospital from jail where he died the next day with allegations that he was assaulted by the police in custody.
After a public outcry, the Bar Association of Hailkandi sent a prayer to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
Under the order of the apex court the case was handed over to CBI on January 24, 1994 which filed a chargesheet in the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read