Assam: 4 police officers convicted for death of prisoner
Silchar (Assam): Four police officers were convicted and sentenced to three years imprisonment each and a fine by a Hailkhandi court for the unnatural death of a undertrial prisoner arrested for dacoity in 1993 in a case investigated by the CBI at the direction of the Supreme Court.
Hailakandi district and sessions Judge Nabakamal Das yesterday convicted the four officers for culpable homicide and criminal conspiracy.
Of the four, the present officer-in-charge of Hailkandi police station Abdul Hai Choudhury, Dwarbond police station OC Parag Konwar and retired OC of Hailakandi PS Binod Phukan were also fined Rs 25,000 each and Assistant Sub-Inspector in Panchgram PS Bilal Uddin to Rs 5000.
The four were given bail to appeal to a higher court.
The prisoner, Nurul Haque was arrested on March 9, 1993 from Boalipar Bazar near Hailakandi town in a dacoity case.
After two days on March 11, the police produced him in the court and took him in its custody for 72 hours.
On March 12 the prisoner was sent to hospital from jail where he died the next day with allegations that he was assaulted by the police in custody.
After a public outcry, the Bar Association of Hailkandi sent a prayer to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
Under the order of the apex court the case was handed over to CBI on January 24, 1994 which filed a chargesheet in the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets