Assam: 4 police officers convicted for death of prisoner
Silchar (Assam): Four police officers were convicted and sentenced to three years imprisonment each and a fine by a Hailkhandi court for the unnatural death of a undertrial prisoner arrested for dacoity in 1993 in a case investigated by the CBI at the direction of the Supreme Court.
Hailakandi district and sessions Judge Nabakamal Das yesterday convicted the four officers for culpable homicide and criminal conspiracy.
Of the four, the present officer-in-charge of Hailkandi police station Abdul Hai Choudhury, Dwarbond police station OC Parag Konwar and retired OC of Hailakandi PS Binod Phukan were also fined Rs 25,000 each and Assistant Sub-Inspector in Panchgram PS Bilal Uddin to Rs 5000.
The four were given bail to appeal to a higher court.
The prisoner, Nurul Haque was arrested on March 9, 1993 from Boalipar Bazar near Hailakandi town in a dacoity case.
After two days on March 11, the police produced him in the court and took him in its custody for 72 hours.
On March 12 the prisoner was sent to hospital from jail where he died the next day with allegations that he was assaulted by the police in custody.
After a public outcry, the Bar Association of Hailkandi sent a prayer to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
Under the order of the apex court the case was handed over to CBI on January 24, 1994 which filed a chargesheet in the court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory