Assam: 4 policemen who deserted SP during encounter suspended
Guwahati: Four policemen were on Saturday suspended for allegedly running away from an encounter with Karbi Peoples` Liberation Tiger militants in which a Superintendent of Police and his PSO were killed even as the family of the slain officer demanded a CBI probe.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi suspended the four Personal Security Officers of the slain police official as they had fled from the encounter site leaving behind Hamren SP Nitya Nanda Goswami Goswami and another PSO Ratul Nunisa, official sources said here.
The SP, his additional SP and other policemen had split into three groups to launch the operation in Rongthang forest area against the ultras with Goswami heading a team of five policemen.
The policemen were suspended with immediate effect and their role was being investigated, the sources said.
Goswami`s wife Rekha demanded a CBI inquiry into the death of her husband.
"We were told that he, along with his PSO was missing from the previous night and the other policemen refused to go in search of him saying that they would go in the morning. We want justice and a proper investigation into the incident," she told reporters here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority