Assam: 8 minor girls rescued, trafficker arrested
Tezpur (Assam): Eight minor girls who were to be sent to Mumbai as part of a trafficking ring were rescued from Sonitpur district Sunday morning and a woman arrested for her alleged involvement in the incident.
All the girls, belonging to the Adivasi community in Barowa near Tezpur, were rescued from a house here after a tip off, police said.
Shakuntala Telenga was nabbed for allegedly trafficking the girls, they said.
She has allegedly confessed to having lured them by telling their families that they would be employed in respectable jobs in Mumbai.
Telenga was planning to take the girls first to Guwahati and then to Mumbai by train.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch