Assam: 8 minor girls rescued, trafficker arrested
Tezpur (Assam): Eight minor girls who were to be sent to Mumbai as part of a trafficking ring were rescued from Sonitpur district Sunday morning and a woman arrested for her alleged involvement in the incident.
All the girls, belonging to the Adivasi community in Barowa near Tezpur, were rescued from a house here after a tip off, police said.
Shakuntala Telenga was nabbed for allegedly trafficking the girls, they said.
She has allegedly confessed to having lured them by telling their families that they would be employed in respectable jobs in Mumbai.
Telenga was planning to take the girls first to Guwahati and then to Mumbai by train.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok