Assam: Alert employees save 64 newborns
Guwahati: Timely intervention by intensive care unit employees saved 64 young lives from choking to death at a hospital here Saturday.
A major tragedy was averted at the Guwahati Medical College and Hospitals (GMCH) when employees detected dense smoke coming out of the neo-natal intensive care unit around 1 am and took immediate steps to ensure the safety of 64 babies admitted there, said GMCH principal KC Saikia.
"The incident took place due to electrical short-circuit in one of the air conditioners installed in the unit. The smoke immediately spread out to other areas of the hospital. However, our alert employees immediately shifted all the babies to another room," Saikia said.
The principal said that all the babies were safe now.
"It could have been a major tragedy, had there been a little delay. The situation is now under control," said Saikia, adding that an inquiry has been ordered to look into the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre