Assam announces Rs 100 cr package for tea tribes
Guwahati: Assam government on Sunday announced a Rs 100-crore special package for uplift of the tea garden communities.
The amount will primarily be spent for expanding education and increasing employment opportunities among tea tribes, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said here.
While addressing a function of the tea tribes, Gogoi said a separate cell will be set up in the education department for the tea garden students and a special scheme will be launched soon.
The government will provide scholarships to poor students from the community, besides establishing hostels in the schools, he added.
The Chief Minister also announced to donate Rs 20 lakh to publish different books relating to the tea tribes.
Gogoi also announced a host of other measures to uplift the communities including connecting the areas through electricity and providing bicycles to students.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India