Assam announces Rs 100 cr package for tea tribes
Guwahati: Assam government on Sunday announced a Rs 100-crore special package for uplift of the tea garden communities.
The amount will primarily be spent for expanding education and increasing employment opportunities among tea tribes, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said here.
While addressing a function of the tea tribes, Gogoi said a separate cell will be set up in the education department for the tea garden students and a special scheme will be launched soon.
The government will provide scholarships to poor students from the community, besides establishing hostels in the schools, he added.
The Chief Minister also announced to donate Rs 20 lakh to publish different books relating to the tea tribes.
Gogoi also announced a host of other measures to uplift the communities including connecting the areas through electricity and providing bicycles to students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him