Assam announces Rs 100 cr package for tea tribes
Guwahati: Assam government on Sunday announced a Rs 100-crore special package for uplift of the tea garden communities.
The amount will primarily be spent for expanding education and increasing employment opportunities among tea tribes, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said here.
While addressing a function of the tea tribes, Gogoi said a separate cell will be set up in the education department for the tea garden students and a special scheme will be launched soon.
The government will provide scholarships to poor students from the community, besides establishing hostels in the schools, he added.
The Chief Minister also announced to donate Rs 20 lakh to publish different books relating to the tea tribes.
Gogoi also announced a host of other measures to uplift the communities including connecting the areas through electricity and providing bicycles to students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation