Assam: Appeal to refugees to return home
Guwahati: An appeal was made on Saturday to refugees housed in relief camps in schools following recent clashes between Bodos and immigrant minorities in Assam that claimed 56 lives, to return home so that the institutions could reopen.
"I appeal to members of both communities to decongest the camps by August 15 as suggested by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, so that educational institutions can reopen," Health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma told reporters here.
"We are not saying that all camps be completely evacuated, but should be decongested so that classes can resume," he said.
Summer vacations in schools which were to reopen on August one, were extended till August 15, but a further extension would severely hit students in the affected districts, he said.
"I appeal to people whose houses have not been extensively damaged and can be repaired soon with the funds provided by the government to return home," he said.
"I appeal to people of both communities to sit down and talk so that there is no further problem or misunderstanding between them," the minister added.
More than three lakh people were still housed in 350 camps in the districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang, Bongaigaon and Dhubri, set up following the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy