Assam budget proposes Metro rail for Guwahati
Guwahati: The Assam budget for 2013-14 proposed Metro rail project for Guwahati, besides widening and upgrading of state highways, improvement of infrastructure and other civic amenities.
Presenting the budget in the state assembly today, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, who also holds the finance portfolio, said the Metro rail project would be taken up at an estimated cost of Rs 1,800 crore.
Upgrading and expansion of power infrastructure, including augmentation of Assam Power Generation Corporation Ltd`s generation capacity was also on the anvil, he said.
Gogoi said a pilot project for reclamation of Brahmaputra`s river bed and its big tributaries would be taken up and embankments which were over 30 years old will be strengthened at an estimated cost of Rs 600 crore.
Besides, at least 30 cold storages are proposed to be set up across the state at an estimated cost of Rs 150 crore, college and high school buildings above 50 years would be renovated along with all government buildings, including offices, staff quarters, hospitals and other institutions.
State highways and major district roads not covered under World Bank-funded State Road Project or any other existing scheme would be widening and upgraded in the next financial year, Gogoi said.
Infrastructure and other civic amenities in all districts and sub divisional headquarters will be improved, banks for developed land would be created for setting up industries besides tourism facilities on cost recovery basis.
Satellite townships with developed infrastructure, a Rs 60 crore `Mini Assam` tourism project, a Rs 295 crore wireless connectivity covering all towns and villages, besides introduction of GPS based tracking of passenger buses, commercial transport and school buses at an estimated cost of Rs 105 crore are the other proposed projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown