Assam by-polls: Congress wrests Algapur constituency
Hailakandi (Assam): Congress candidate Mandira Roy on Thursday wrested the Algapur Assembly constituency defeating her nearest AIUDF rival Mehbubul Hassan by 991 votes in the by-poll.
Roy, wife of Assam Public Health and Engineering Minister Gautam Roy, polled 52,791 while AIUDF`s Mehbubul Hassan polled 51,880 votes, official sources said.
AGP`s Kamrul Islam Choudhury polled only 933 votes and BJP`s Sashadhar Pal polled 2,742 votes.
There were 12 candidates in the fray and besides the Congress and AIUDF, BJP, AGP and eight Independents had contested the polls.
By-elections to Algapur were necessitated following the death of AGP MLA Sahidul Alam Choudhary on November 20 last.
Choudhary, a former minister and five-time MLA, had held the seat since his debut in 1985 except for 2006 when it was wrested by Rahul Roy of Congress but the party gave a ticket to his mother this time.
The predominantly minority constituency was spread across Hailakandi and Cachar districts in Barak Valley.
The Congress increased its tally in the 126-member Legislative Assembly to 79, while the AGP went down to eight members from its earlier nine in the current Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Delhi horror: Pedophile held for sexually assaulting 600 girls
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre