Assam celebrates Bhogali Bihu
Guwahati: Celebrations for Assam`s harvest festival Bhogali Bihu or Magh Bihu began on `Uruka` on Sunday with community feasts and prayers to the fire god not to unleash its wrath during the summer.
As the name Bhogali suggests feasting and with the granaries full after a good harvest, people today began celebrations for the agrarian festival by erecting hut-like `mejis` or `bhelaghars` with bamboo, hay, dry leaves, wood and twigs of heights upto 40 feet.
Irrespective of caste, religion or language, people from all communities in a spirit of brotherhood gathered to participate in the celebrations by building the structure and preparation of local delicacies of fish and meat for a grand feast inside the `mejis` in the open agriculture fields.
To the enchanting notes of flutes and buffalo horns, the youths sing the joyous lilting Bihu songs with lyrics of a good harvest and rejoice in the vibrant and joyful festival also called `Maghar Domahi`.
At home the women folk prepare a variety of sweets, including `pitha` prepared from a special sticky red `bora` rice, coconut, sesame and jaggery.
After a night of merry-making and feasting, tomorrow at the crack of dawn the `mejis` will be set ablaze to the chanting of prayers appealing to the fire god (Agni) not to cause destruction during the coming dry months.
Though this festival is primarily observed in the
rural areas, Bhogali Bihu is also celebrated in the urban areas with community feasts at different localities and also `mejis` in some open places and on river banks.
The spirit of the Bihu festivities and celebrations grips the state a week ahead of the occasion with people going to their native places to celebrate Bihu with their near and dear ones.
The capital city, Guwahati, wears a deserted look with a large floating population making the journey homeward to the districts to celebrate Bihu and Makar Sankranti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday