Assam CID probe into false news by website
Guwahati: The CID of Assam Police has taken up suo motu investigations into a website`s article on an alleged `Assam Rape Festival` amidst widespread protests in the state.
CID additional superintendent of police Nirmal Baishya said that investigations have revealed that the article was sourced from Uganda and the website is hosted in Houston in the US.
The article which was carried five days ago on website NationalReport.Net claimed that the annual `Assam Rape Festival began in 43 BC` and is `just days away`.
The article, which was widely shared in a social media, has sparked widespread protests among the people in the state who say it has denigrated the image of Assam in the world and has given a false picture of it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui