Assam CM launches food security scheme campaign
Guwahati: The Assam government on Tuesday launched a state-wide promotional campaign to showcase the centre`s ambitious food security scheme at the grassroots coinciding with the birth anniversary of late prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said the final scheme will be launched in the state Nov 19, "coinciding with the birth anniversary of former prime minister Indira Gandhi. In Assam, about 2.25 crore people from around 40 lakh families will benefit from the scheme."
Gogoi launched the campaign at a function at Sarusajai Sports Complex in Guwahati.
Saying that the ordinance on food security would help battle malnutrition and hunger, Gogoi said that one should not oppose the scheme for the sake of opposing it.
"One has to understand the pangs of hunger to realize how important the scheme is for the poor segments of the society," he said, and added that the state and central governments are more concerned about the poor and have taken up different schemes for their welfare.
Terming it a "dream of the top leadership, including Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Rahul Gandhi", Gogoi said that the government would have no difficulty in implementing the scheme because of self-sufficiency on the food front.
"There was a time when we had to import food grains from the US. But now our country has attained self-sufficiency on the food front, thanks to the hard work of our farmers," he said. "The day is not far when the country would see shelter becoming a right after the Right to Education and Right to Food."
"In our state we will launch a scheme ensuring shelter to the rural and urban poor," he said, while seeking cooperation for the smooth implementation of the food security scheme.
"The aim is to cover about 2.25 crore people across the state. From the rural areas, around 84.17 percent of people will benefit, while about 60.35 percent will benefit in urban areas. Altogether 2,52,18,000 people will gain," said Assam Minister for Food and Civil Supplies Nazrul Islam.
He said there would be no difficulty in preparing the list of beneficiaries as the state has already 7.04 lakh beneficiary families under Antodoya Scheme, 20 lakh beneficiary families under Chief Minister`s Anna Yojona and over 12 lakh BPL families. "These together form about 40 lakh families who are likely to benefit from the food security scheme," he said.
As per the scheme, rice will be available at Rs.3 per kg, while wheat and coarse cereals will be offered at Rs.2 and Re.1 respectively for each kg. The food security scheme also has benefits for pregnant women and children between six months and 14 years of age.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year