Assam CM Tarun Gogoi highlights cross-border threat
New Delhi: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday highlighted the threat from across the border and sought the help from the central government to counter such forces.
Speaking at a National Integration Council meeting here, he said: "There is always a threat from the forces inimical to India taking shelter in neighbouring countries and engaging in terrorist activities."
"There are also certain elements in the society who always try to create rift among communities on ethnic and religious lines," he said while adding that the state government was vigilant about dealing with them firmly.
"However, continued support would be required from the central government in our efforts to counter such elements and their nefarious designs in Assam," Gogoi said.
He referred to the recent violence in the state and said that firm and effective action taken by the state government had been able to contain ethnic clashes.
Gogoi said that as the threat for sporadic outbreaks of ethnic tension persisted in the state, the deployment of central forces should continue for some more time.
He also talked about the issue of safety and security of women.
"We have taken up a plan for establishing a women`s cell in each police station by 2016. We have also set up a specially trained all-women commando force that will target those harassing women," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video