Assam CM Tarun Gogoi`s convoy attacked
Sarupathar: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi`s convoy was attacked by protesters on Monday when he was on his way to visit the violence-hit Uriamghat in Golaghat district bordering Nagaland.
Gogoi was unhurt in the attack but two vehicles at the rear of his convoy were damaged, Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) A P Rout said.
The chief minister, who enjoys Z+ category security cover, had left Jorhat for Golaghat this morning by road.
As Gogoi neared a relief camp at Uriamghat, angry protesters shouted slogans against him and some of them pelted stones at security vehicles in the rear end of the convoy slightly damaging two of them, Rout said.
The protestors were urged to peacefully disperse but when they refused, police resorted to lathicharge, fired rubber pellets and used water canons.
One person was injured in the lathicharge and was admitted to a local hospital, Rout said.
Members of Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti also burnt an effigy of Gogoi protesting against the killings at Uriamghat allegedly by miscreants from Nagaland.
The chief minister was at the relief camp for about five minutes and later reviewed the situation with senior government officials.
Altogether nine people were killed on August 12 allegedly by miscreants from neighbouring Nagaland and nearly 10,000 people fled their homes in seven villages of Golaghat district and taken shelter in relief camps set up by district administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!