Assam: Curfew relaxed in Rangiya
Guwahati: Curfew in Rangiya sub-division of Kamrup Rural district was relaxed on Friday even as no incident of fresh violence was reported from any part of Assam.
"Curfew has been relaxed in Rangiya from 9 am to 3 pm. The situation is under control," Assam Inspector General of Police (Law & Order) LR Bishnoi told a news agency.
He said police and security forces are maintaining a strict vigil in Rangiya, as well as other trouble-torn areas of Kokrajhar, Chirang, Dhubri and Baksa districts.
Shops and markets in Rangiya opened this morning after relaxation of the curfew.
Bishnoi said police fired rubber bullet yesterday evening at Tamulpur in Baksa district to control a violent mob.
"The mob was attempting to break into the Tamulpur police station and mild force had to be used to disperse them. However, there were no injuries," he said.
The mob had gathered to protest the detention of around 65 people who were allegedly involved in burning of a car, whose driver remain untraced.
Meanwhile, senior police and administration officials are camping at Rangiya to oversee the situation.
Local police said around 15 youths have been detained for interrogation. Some persons in the town had yesterday blocked the National Highway 31 and set fire to a bus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...