Assam: Demand for separate Bodoland renewed
Tezpur: Peoples` Joint Action Committee for Bodoland Movement (PJACBM), an umbrella body of 47 organisations, on Friday renewed their demand for a separate Bodoland which includes areas of northern Assam districts.
More than three thousand members of PJACBM staged a dharna here and submitted a memorandum to Assam Governor JB Patnaik through Sonitpur Deputy Commissioner.
PJACBM convenors Dalim Rongpi and Sekhar Sarma said they were demanding that the ongoing peace talks with NDFB(Progressive) must be expedited along with the creation of a separate Bodoland.
"The Bodos and other indigenous tribals have lost their grip on their land and their survival as distinct communities with a socio-cultural identity is threatened", they said.
Moreover, the magnitude of influx of migrants into our lands has become a "serious threat not only to the existence and survival of the indigenous people but also to the internal and territorial integrity of India", they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- After Sachin Tendulkar, now 'Bharat Ratna' demand for Virat Kohli
- So sweet! Genelia Deshmukh gushes over hubby Riteish Deshmukh's handsome get-up – View pic
- IIFA mania: 'Green and Gold' Sonakshi Sinha will make you fall in love with her all over again!
- I was more focused after Centennial Park bombing: Leander Paes
- AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya arrested from press conference