Assam: EU releases 14 mn Euro for displaced people
New Delhi: European Union has released over 14 million euro (Rs 95.2 crore approx) for the immediate needs of people displaced following violence in Assam.
A release issued by the European Commission said the funds will provide hygiene and sanitation facilities as well as clean drinking water to over 45,000 people living in 40 camps in Kokrajhar and Chirang districts most affected by the violence.
"In accordance with the humanitarian principles of impartiality and neutrality, EU funds will be used to help the most vulnerable people, irrespective of their religious or ethnic background," said Dr Joao Cravinho, the European Union`s Ambassador to India.
The EU-funded relief efforts will include installation of hand pumps, construction of flush latrines and bathing cubicles, distribution of chlorine tablets for water purification, and provision of hygiene and women’s sanitary kits.
Besides, in order to prevent the spread of diseases in the camps, waste management activities such as cleaning of drainage systems will also be organised, and health education sessions undertaken on a regular basis, the release said.
The project is being funded by the Small Scale Response mechanism of the European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department (ECHO).
It will be implemented by ECHO’s partner Oxfam, which has already carried out several relief and disaster preparedness activities in Assam, the release added.
In August, the EU had already provided 2 million Euro to assist people most affected by the floods in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India