Assam: EU releases 14 mn Euro for displaced people
New Delhi: European Union has released over 14 million euro (Rs 95.2 crore approx) for the immediate needs of people displaced following violence in Assam.
A release issued by the European Commission said the funds will provide hygiene and sanitation facilities as well as clean drinking water to over 45,000 people living in 40 camps in Kokrajhar and Chirang districts most affected by the violence.
"In accordance with the humanitarian principles of impartiality and neutrality, EU funds will be used to help the most vulnerable people, irrespective of their religious or ethnic background," said Dr Joao Cravinho, the European Union`s Ambassador to India.
The EU-funded relief efforts will include installation of hand pumps, construction of flush latrines and bathing cubicles, distribution of chlorine tablets for water purification, and provision of hygiene and women’s sanitary kits.
Besides, in order to prevent the spread of diseases in the camps, waste management activities such as cleaning of drainage systems will also be organised, and health education sessions undertaken on a regular basis, the release said.
The project is being funded by the Small Scale Response mechanism of the European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection Department (ECHO).
It will be implemented by ECHO’s partner Oxfam, which has already carried out several relief and disaster preparedness activities in Assam, the release added.
In August, the EU had already provided 2 million Euro to assist people most affected by the floods in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre