Assam flood death toll rises to 12
Guwahati: The overall flood situation in Assam remained unchanged and the death toll rose to 12 Tuesday, official sources said .
The third wave of flood has affected nearly 15 lakh people rendering 14 lakh of them homeless in 16 districts of the state.
The sources said the toll increased as three deaths due to the disaster were reported from Lakhimpur and Hajo.
One person drowned and two others including a male child were washed away by swollen Brahmaputra river in Lakhimpur and north Hajo.
The situation was serious in the city with areas of Gorchuk, Sunsali, Pandu, Kharguli and Fancy Bazaar submerged as the water level of Brahmaputra suddenly rose due to heavy rains in the upper reaches.
The district administration has taken all measures to ensure there is no casualty due to the rising water.
The National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF), State Disaster Relief Force (SDRF), army and para military forces are carrying out rescue and relief operations, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon