Assam flood death toll rises to 12
Guwahati: The overall flood situation in Assam remained unchanged and the death toll rose to 12 Tuesday, official sources said .
The third wave of flood has affected nearly 15 lakh people rendering 14 lakh of them homeless in 16 districts of the state.
The sources said the toll increased as three deaths due to the disaster were reported from Lakhimpur and Hajo.
One person drowned and two others including a male child were washed away by swollen Brahmaputra river in Lakhimpur and north Hajo.
The situation was serious in the city with areas of Gorchuk, Sunsali, Pandu, Kharguli and Fancy Bazaar submerged as the water level of Brahmaputra suddenly rose due to heavy rains in the upper reaches.
The district administration has taken all measures to ensure there is no casualty due to the rising water.
The National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF), State Disaster Relief Force (SDRF), army and para military forces are carrying out rescue and relief operations, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- New study to explore sexual differences in social stress
- Barcelona starlet Alen Halilovic leaves club to join Bundesliga side Hamburg
- I-T dept detects Rs 22K crore undisclosed income in 2 years: FM Jaitley
- Hair-raising video: Pitbull goes wild, attacks people on a busy Chinese street - Must watch
- Apple to open first Apple Store in Taiwan