Assam flood displaces 94 families
Jorhat: The rising water of the mighty Brahmaputra river on Friday displaced 94 families in Majuli as heavy erosion washed away over half-a-km stretch.
According to district administration officials, the erosion took place between Neemati and Ahatoguree in the world`s largest river island.
"At least 500 metre of land was washed away at Dainee village, where 14 houses went into the riverbed following heavy erosion for last couple of days," an official said.
On the other hand, 79 families were rendered homeless and are taking shelter on the embankment as erosion washed away three LP schools, two namghars (temple) and the office of the south Ahatoguree village panchayat.
The schools were located at Soudhoghoria Halmari, Hakupara and Vimpara.
According to Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA), around 10,000 people are still affected in flood in four districts across the state.
Around 60 villages are under water in Dhemaji, Lakhimpur, Jorhat and Golaghat districts.
Over 2,000 people are taking shelter in eight relief camps in the worst-hit Dhemaji district.
Currently, Brahmaputra`s tributary Dhansiri is flowing above the danger mark at Numaligarh in Golaghat.
Meanwhile, a three-year old boy was drowned in a pond in Majuli, officials said.
The kid, identified as Babu Bora son of Luhit Bora, slipped into the pond when his parents were working in the paddy field nearby.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir