Assam flood hits 30 new villages; 55,000 people affected
Tinsukia/Guwahati: The flood in Assam is gradually taking more areas under its grip with around 30 additional villages inundated on Friday, affecting a total of nearly 2,000 hectares of agricultural land in seven districts.
According to the Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA), Brahmaputra and its tributary Jia Bharali is flowing over the danger mark at Jorhat and Sonitpur respectively.
In Tinsukia district, 14 villages have been affected today, hitting around 5,000 people. Besides, 13 villages have come under water in Dhemaji district, along with 1 in Lakhimpur.
Heavy rains are reported from many parts of the state. So far, nearly 140 villages are under water, affecting nearly 55,000 people, official sources said.
However, there is no report of any casualty from any part of the state so far.
As per ASDMA records, 1,097.94 hectares of agricultural land have been submerged in two districts -- Dhemaji and Lakhimpur -- with standing crops under water. Besides, 858.69 hectares of land is affected in Golaghat, Kamrup and Jorhat districts. Nearly 10,500 animals and poultry have been affected so far.
About 50 villages are affected in the worst-hit Dhemaji district, hitting nearly 35,000 people. It is followed by 37 villages in Golaghat, 19 in Karimganj, 14 in Tinsukia, 10 in Jorhat, 4 in Kamrup and 1 in Lakhimpur districts, officials said.
The flood this season has also damaged around 550 houses in these villages. Erosion has been noticed on Khalihamari Butikur road in Dhemaji. Also, one bridge has been washed away in Sadiya sub-division of Tinsukia district.
Six roads have also been damaged in Golaghat along with a bridge. Embankments were breached at two places in Karimganj.
The people in the villages have left their homes to take shelter in the highlands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy