Assam flood scene grim, Gogoi makes aerial survey
Guwahati: There was no let up in the
flood situation in Assam as several rivers rose menacingly
while railway tracks were washed away disrupting train
services with Arunachal Pradesh.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today made an aerial survey
of flood-hit districts including worst-hit Lakhimpur in the
state where an estimated 2.5 lakh people have been affected.
Accompanied by top officials, he also surveyed the
flooded Kaziranga National Park in Golaghat district.
The swollen Drupromg river last night washed away the
Rangiya-Jonai-Mukongchelek metre gauge rail tracks near
Tatibahar station through which the Arunachal Express and
goods trains pass to the neighbouring state from Lakhimpur,
Both the Brahmaputra and Subansiri rivers in the
district were flowing a metre above the danger level at
Silikhagur and Ghonsoraighat.
The Gohin river in Lakhimpur rose menacingly and was
threatening a dyke and affected the construction of the
state`s second veterinary college, the officials said.
Most areas of two rhino habitats at Kaziranga Park and
the Pobitora Wild Life Sanctuary in Morigaon district were
inundated but the animals were safe with patrols guarding
against poachers, wildlife department officials said.
In Dhemaji district, the Brahmaputra rose above the
danger level just below Bogibeel bridge at Karengsapori.
The Brahmaputra and its tributaries were flowing above
the danger level in Sonitpur affecting 30,000 families and
damaged 10,000 hectares of crop land.
Later, at a meeting in Jorhat, Gogoi instructed the
deputy commissioners of flood-hit districts to distribute
relief on a war-footing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- What's cooking? Farah Khan's 'do anmol ratan' Ranveer Singh, Anil Kapoor spill madness at shoot
- EXCLUSIVE: This is what Kashmiri children think about India – Must watch video
- US-backed forces give IS '48 hours' to leave Syria's Manbij
- RBI to cut rates by 0.25% on Aug 9 if rains damp pulse price
- Kotak Mahindra Bank to raise Rs 5,000 cr via bonds