Assam: Flood scene grim, Kaziranga Park submerges
Guwahati: The flood situation in Assam
continued to be grim on Monday in the four districts of Sonitpur,
Lakhimpur, Dhemaji and Golaghat with over 300 people rendered
homeless while the low-lying areas of Kaziranga National Park
The Brahmaputra and most of its tributaries were
flowing above the danger level in the districts, the Central
Water Commission said.
The flood waters had entered the Kaziranga Park, home
to the one-horned rhino, in Golaghat district, officials said.
The rain-fed streams had overflowed submerging some
low-lying areas and a few forest check-posts in Kaziranga.
The animals in the park were, however, safe as high
platforms were constructed for their shelter, officials
In Sonitpur, the Jiabhorali, a tributary of
Brahmaputra, washed away 500 hectares along with 25 houses
rendering over 300 people homeless at Tikajan area near Tezpur
town, they said.
The river rising alarmingly towards the danger level
was threatening to breach a dyke and inundate a 50-km stretch
between Mansiri and Gotaimari.
With nearly two lakh people reeling under the impact
of the first wave of floods and four persons dead so far
following incessant rains in the state and neighbouring
Arunachal Pradesh, the Centre had yesterday deployed five
teams of the National Disaster Response Force.
The NDRF was engaged in rescue and relief operations
in the flood affected areas of Lakhimpur and Dhemaji, where
the district administrations have pressed into service
motorised boats for rescue and relief operations, they said.
The district administration and forest department were
taking necessary precautionary measures and conducting relief
Food items were also being supplied to the affected
people by the district administrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing