Assam flood situation grim, Morigaon condition critical
Morigaon/Guwahati: As the overall flood situation in Assam remained grim, the condition in Morigaon district turned critical on Tuesday with Brahmaputra river inundating 100 villages, affecting around one lakh people and flooding rhino habitat Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary.
The surging water submerged vast tracts of human habitation and farm land with standing crops at Bhuragaon and Mayong revenue circles of Morigaon triggering erosion threatening the existence of buildings, district authorities said.
Erosion took a serious turn at the main dyke of Brahmaputra at Bhuragaon point and threatened to submerge the revenue circle office, police station, Bhuragaon college and the main market there.
Eighty per cent of Pobitora is now under the flood waters which has forced the rhinos and other wild animals there to take shelter on highlands, the wildlife sanctuary authorities said.
No poaching has been reported from the sanctuary, which is about 30 km from Guwahati, and the forest staff there are maintaining round the clock vigil, the authorities said.
The 38.8 sq km Pobitora wildlife sanctuary has a dense population of Great Indian one-horned rhinoceros in its only 16 sq km effective rhino habitat.
Dhemaji, Lakhimpur, Dibrugarh, Nagaon, Jorhat, Golaghat and Sonitpur districts were reeling under the impact of the flood which had claimed two lives so far and affected nearly two lakh people.
In the worst-hit Lakhimpur district the tributaries of Brahmaputra river were rising menacingly affecting over 100 villagers under Dhakuakhona, Naoboisa, Bihpuria, Narayanpur, North Lakhimpur and Subansiri revenue circles, official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!