Assam flood situation improving, death toll 19
Guwahati: The flood situation in Assam showed signs of improvement on Thursday with some respite from the rains and water starting to recede in many places, officials said. The toll has risen to 19, while another 10 people are missing.
However, over 20 lakh people in 18 districts of the state are still reeling under the current wave of floods.
The official flood bulletin released by the State Disaster Management Authority (SDMA) on Thursday said that over 2,174 villages are still submerged in various flood-hit districts of the state.
The current wave of floods also affected 226,902 hectares of agricultural lands in these districts, the bulletin said.
Sources in the SDMA further said that a total of 19 people have died due to the floods in various districts till Thursday. Another 10 people have been missing since last week, they said.
The Brahmaputra was flowing above danger level at Nematighat in Jorhat district, at Tezpur in Sonitpur district, at Guwahati in Kamrup district and at Goalpara and in Dhubri districts.
The water level of Burhidehing, Subansiri, Dhansiri and Jia Bharali were however below danger levels now, sources said.
Over four lakh flood-hit people have been living in relief camps in various districts, the SDMA sources said.
A total of 24 animals including four rhinos have died in Kaziranga National Park and in Dibru-Choikhowa National Park.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened