Assam flood situation remains critical
Guwahati: Assam`s flood situation remained critical on Sunday with 11 districts reeling under the water of the swollen Brahmaputra and its tributaries affecting over one lakh people.
Heavy rainfall in the catchment areas of neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh has caused river Jiadhol to rise and inundate fresh areas in the worst-hit Dhemaji district, official sources said.
Over 25 villages were flooded in the district affecting thousands of people who had been rendered homeless as flood waters had either entered their homes or damaged them.
The flood victims claimed that flooding was severe as there were no river embankments or those breached by earlier floods not repaired before the deluge.
Most of the roads were damaged or affected, while several others either partially or fully submerged, the sources said, adding, many road embankments had been eroded and approaches of bridge and culverts washed away by the flood water.
Erosion has also started on approaches on Dhemaji side on Khalihamari Butikur Road at Laumuri and the road surface inundated by flood water.
Leakage, seepage and erosion have also occurred on Kumotiya embankment.
Floods have damaged six roads, one bridge, three culverts in Golaghat district, breached an embankment each at Madanpur and Chandpur in Karimganj district.
Meanwhile, the mighty Brahmaputra was flowing above the danger level at Nematighat in Jorhat district, Burhidehing at Khowang in Dibrugarh district, Desang at Nanglamuragat in Sibsagar and Jia Bharali at N T Road Crossing in Sonitpur.
The 11 affected districts are Dhemaji, Tinsukia, Chirang, Nagaon, Golaghat, Jorhat, Kamrup, Karimganj, Lakhimpur, Morigaon and Sibsagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow