Assam flood situation remains critical
Guwahati: Assam`s flood situation remained critical on Sunday with 11 districts reeling under the water of the swollen Brahmaputra and its tributaries affecting over one lakh people.
Heavy rainfall in the catchment areas of neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh has caused river Jiadhol to rise and inundate fresh areas in the worst-hit Dhemaji district, official sources said.
Over 25 villages were flooded in the district affecting thousands of people who had been rendered homeless as flood waters had either entered their homes or damaged them.
The flood victims claimed that flooding was severe as there were no river embankments or those breached by earlier floods not repaired before the deluge.
Most of the roads were damaged or affected, while several others either partially or fully submerged, the sources said, adding, many road embankments had been eroded and approaches of bridge and culverts washed away by the flood water.
Erosion has also started on approaches on Dhemaji side on Khalihamari Butikur Road at Laumuri and the road surface inundated by flood water.
Leakage, seepage and erosion have also occurred on Kumotiya embankment.
Floods have damaged six roads, one bridge, three culverts in Golaghat district, breached an embankment each at Madanpur and Chandpur in Karimganj district.
Meanwhile, the mighty Brahmaputra was flowing above the danger level at Nematighat in Jorhat district, Burhidehing at Khowang in Dibrugarh district, Desang at Nanglamuragat in Sibsagar and Jia Bharali at N T Road Crossing in Sonitpur.
The 11 affected districts are Dhemaji, Tinsukia, Chirang, Nagaon, Golaghat, Jorhat, Kamrup, Karimganj, Lakhimpur, Morigaon and Sibsagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Watch: Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' teaser trailer will leave you wanting more
- It's out! Kangana, Shahid and Saif Ali Khan's 'Rangoon' release date set!
- Indian Premier League 9, Qualifier 1: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Gujarat Lions - As it happened...
- Angelina Jolie to teach masters course at London School of Economics!
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in