Assam flood situation turns grim, claims one life
Tezpur/Kaziranga: The flood situation in Assam today turned grim claiming the life of a child as the Brahmaputra and its tributaries inundated vast tracts of land in Upper Assam and in the Kaziranga National Park following incessant rainfall in the catchment areas.
The flood situation turned critical in Lakhimpur, Dhemaji and Sonitpur districts with a minor boy being washed away by the flood water in Naoboicha area of Lakhimpur.
In Kaziranga National Park (KNP), famed for its one- horned rhino, the rising water of the Brahmaputra has inundated low-lying areas in almost all the ranges with the animals moving to the highlands in neighbouring Karbi Anglong district, KNP DFO S K Seal Sarmah said.
"Water has entered 50 camps across the Park with three camps evacuated in the Northern range," he said. The animals have migrated to the highland across NH-37 and to check speeding vehicles barricades have been set up and time-cards introduced to control the speed of the vehicles, Seal Sarmah added.
In Lakhimpur, nearly one lakh people in seven circles have been affected in six revenue circles of Dhakuakhona, Naoboicha, Bihpuria, Narayanpur, North Lakhimpur and Subansiri by the rising water of the Ranganadi, Deputy Commissioner.
Lakhimpur district administration has launched rescue operation to bring the affected persons to relief camps and and relief material was being distributed to the affected families, Bothra said.
Flood water has also risen in the rivers Sarigharia, Koha, Kumotia and Gainodi resulting in the damage of several hectares of standing crops, he said.
In Dhakuakhona circle, the tributaries of river Kumotia and Jidahol river have also inundated vast tracts of land, Bothra said.
In Dhemaji district more than 70 villages have been submerge by the flood water of the Brahmaputra and one relief camp has been opened by the district administration, according to an official report.
In Sonitpur district, rising level of the Brahmaputra has also affected three panchayats--Bordoloni, Botamuli and Paken under Gohpur sub division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui