Assam flood situation worsens, 4 persons drown
Guwahati: Four persons, including a child, were drowned in the flood waters today taking the toll in the deluge to five, even as the flood situation in Assam deteriorated following incessant rainfall affecting 80,000 people.
Three women and a child were drowned in Barpeta`s Bhella town when their cropland was inundated by the rising waters of River Nakhanda, official sources said.
The four have been identified as Rehana Begum, Rita Begum, Halida Begum and five-year old Monima Begum.
Earlier on June 14, a child was drowned in a flooded pond in Ouiguri area of Baksa district.
Nearly 80,000 people have been affected by the current wave of floods, while road communication was disrupted in many parts of the affected districts.
The flood affected districts include Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Dibrugarh, Barpeta, Kamrup (Rural), Baksa, Udalguri, Sonitpur, Nagaon and Dhubri.
Incessant rainfall in the catchment areas during the last week have led to a rise in the water level of the Brahmaputra and its tributaries overrunning vast tracts of farmland and villages in ten districts of Lower and Upper Assam and Hailakandi in Barak Valley.
In Bajali sub-division of Barpeta, surging waters of the Kaladiya river breached dykes and embankments at many places inundating villages and fields.
In Dhubri district severe erosion has been reported from villages on the banks of Gauranga river, a tributary of the Brahmaputra, while in Darrang water from the Sathtola river has breached dykes at many places with the Patharughat- Moirabari road submerged under water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!