Assam flood situation worsens
Guwahati: The overall flood situation in Assam deteriorated today following torrential rains for the past couple of days inundating low lying human habitations and cropland.
Among the districts freshly affected are Barpeta, Darrang and Dhubri, official sources said.
In Bajali subdivision of Barpeta, surging waters of the Kaladiya river breached dykes and embankments at many places flooding villages and fields.
Hundreds of families at Maripur Anandpur village of Bajali have moved to safer places after water entered their homes.
The civil hospital at Pathsala has been evacuated on account of rising water levels in the town.
In Dhubri district, severe erosion has been reported from villages on the banks of Gauranga river, a tributary of the Brahmaputra.
Many villages in the Bilasipara sub-division are fearing inundation due to surge in water level. Among the worst affected by erosion is Hatipota village where locals alleged that no help had come from the authorities.
In Darrang, water from the Sathtola river has smashed dykes at many places.
The Patharughat-Moirabari road has been submerged under water.
Many local villages have been affected by the water.
Even the capital city of Guwahati witnessed heavy rains for many hours since early this morning leading to overflowing of drains and water logging at many localities.
The situation in the upper Assam districts, which were earlier affected by floods, remained unchanged with no fresh rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan