Assam flood situation worsens
Guwahati: The flood situation in Assam, which had shown signs of improvement last week, took a turn for the worse today following heavy rainfall in some parts of the state in the past 48 hours.
Official sources said over 75 villages in Dhemaji and Lakhimpur districts have been inundated afresh due to flash floods since yesterday.
Over 70,000 people have been affected afresh by the rising water levels in the two districts, where dykes in Brahmaputra and Jiadhol rivers have broken down at some places.
Several rivers are showing a rising trend. Brahmaputra is flowing above the danger level at Nematighat, Dibrugarh and Dhubri, while Jia Bharali is flowing above danger level at NT road crossing in Sonitpur.
Kopili is flowing above danger level at Kampur and Beki is flowing above danger level at Barpeta, the sources said, adding Sankosh river is flowing above the danger level in Golakganj in Dhubri district.
Dhakuakhana area of Lakhimpur district is the worst hit, the sources said.
A total 3.62 lakh people in 647 villages under 31 revenue circles across the state remain in the grip of the flood, which along with landslides has so far claimed 126 lives since it began in mid-June, the sources said.
While all 27 districts were affected during the initial phase of the flood, the worst in recent years, currently 13 districts including Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Baksa, Nalbari, Sonitpur, Goalpara, Bongaigaon and Kokrajhar are still in its grip.
Over 56,000 people remain in 99 relief camps across eight districts, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them